- 1. Alba, R., Rumbaut, R. G., & Marotz, K. (2005). A distorted nation: Perceptions of racial/ethnic group sizes and attitudes toward immigrants and other minorities. Social Forces, 84(2), 901-909. doi:10.1353/sof.2006.0002
- 2. Esses, V. M., Wagner, U., Wolf, C., Preiser, M., & Wilbur, C. J. (2006). Perceptions of national identity and attitudes toward immigrants and immigration in Canada and Germany. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 30(6), 653-669. doi:10.1016/j.ijintrel.2006.0 7.002
- 3. Louis, W. R., Esses, V. M., & Lalonde, R. N. (2013). National identification, perceived threat, and dehumanization as antecedents of negative attitudes toward immigrants in Australia and Canada. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 43(Suppl 2), E156-E165. doi:10.1111/jasp.12 044
- 4. de Zúñiga, H. G., Correa, T., & Valenzuela, S. (2012). Selective exposure to cable news and immigration in the U.S.: The relationship between Fox News, CNN, and attitudes toward Mexican immigrants. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 56(4), 597-615. doi:10.1 080/08838151.2012.732138
- 5. Knoll, B. R. (2009). ‘ And who is my neighbor?’ Religion and immigration policy attitudes. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 48(2), 313-331. doi:10.1111/j.1468-5906.2009.01449.x
- 6. Leong, C. (2008). A multilevel research framework for the analyses of attitudes toward immigrants. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 32(2), 115-129. doi:10.1016/j.ij intrel.2007.10.002
- 7. Wang, X. (2012). Undocumented immigrants as perceived criminal threat: A test of the minority threat perspective. Criminology: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 50(3), 743-776. doi:10.1111/j. 1745-9125.2012.00278.x
- 8. Esses, V., Veenvliet, S., Hodson, G., & Mihic, L. (2008). Justice, morality, and the dehumanization of refugees. Social Justice Research, 21(1), 4-25. doi:10.1007/s11211-007-0058-4
- 9. Pearson, M. R. (2010). How ‘undocumented workers’ and ‘illegal aliens’ affect prejudice toward Mexican immigrants. Social Influence, 5(2), 118-132. doi:10.1080/15534511003593679q
- 10. Nickerson, A. M., & Louis, W. R. (2008). Nationality versus humanity? Personality, identity, and norms in relation to attitudes toward asylum seekers. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 38(3), 796-817. doi:10.1111/j.1559-1816.2007.00327.x
About This Project
This project aims to identify the major factors that predict people's attitudes toward immigrants and immigration, understand the relationships among these factors, and explore the role that different messages can play in shifting people's attitudes. This project is unique in examining factors from diverse research literatures, and testing messages that are often deployed in the media.
Recent Lab Notes From This Project
Browse Other Projects on Experiment
Intuitions about Ownership Among Achuar Communities and the Misalignment of Intellectual Property Law
The ownership of knowledge is one of the most contested topics of our times, but little is known about how...