- 1. https://www.fws.gov/northflorida/gophertortoise/gopher_tortoise_fact_sheet.html
- 2. USFWS. (2013). "Gopher Tortoise." U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services. U.S. Department of the Interior, n.d. Web.
- 3. Ashton, K. G., Burke, R. L., & Layne, J. N. (2007). Geographic variation in body and clutch size of gopher tortoises. Copeia, (2), 355-363.
- 4. Berish, J. E. D., Kiltie, R. A., & Thomas, T. M. (2012). Long-term population dynamics of gopher tortoises (gopherus polyphemus) in a pine plantation in northern florida. Chelonian Conservation and Biology, 11(1), 50-58.
- 5. Guyer, C., Johnson, V. M., & Hermann, S. M. (2012). Effects of Population Density on Patterns of Movement and Behavior of Gopher Tortoises (Gopherus polyphemus). Herpetological Monographs, (26), 122-134.
About This Project
An unstudied population of Gopher tortoises, a Threatened species, exists on Cumberland Island, Georgia USA. In the summer of 2016, I conducted a pilot survey on one large population on the Island. In 2017, the goal is to survey the remaining Island to determine the total population size & characteristics. Information on this keystone species must be known in order to effectively manage conservation areas vs. human use areas on the Island.
Browse Other Projects on Experiment
The aim of this project is to discover how Vespa Amino Acid Mixture (VAAM), a metabolic accelerant, impacts...